Monday, July 13, 2009

Iron Man

Who needs lacquer and varnish remover? On Saturday, Adam got the grand idea of taking our door with the stubborn varnish to his work and sandblasting it off. With approval from his boss,
he got right to work at their sand-blasting station where they typically sand steel, not oak. Pshhh, beat that mineral oil.

It proabably took less than an hour and removed every last bit of lacquer and then some. The door has deeper grooves in the grain, but we just call that character. Plus, the stain and lacquer that we put on it will help fill in those grooves.



Look familiar?

Yeah, that's what I thought too. :)


We weren't sure exactly of the finish we wanted on the door whether to just stain it or distress it first. So, I practiced by banging up an old oak stair tread we had lying around.
I made my torture device out of nuts and plumbing parts and a great little l-shape bracket that did a lot of the damage. The result on the oak tread was so cool that we decided to do it on the door!


Here's a little sneak peek of the door and the stain that we used. Adam is not a shortcut kind of guy so he's not particularly keen on stain mixed with polyurethane, but this is the only kind we could find at Lowe's with the color we wanted. We'll add a seperate coat poly when we're finished...

1 comment:

  1. so much fun running in to you today. The kids are so beautiful and precious. I LOVE YOUR HOUSE. can't believe the story behind the acerage. Will love following your blog. Let me know if I can help you with anything, I love to paint and do little projects. I know your budget is tight and it is always good to have free labor. call on me, I would love to help.
    Much love,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete